Saturday, November 29, 2008

What hurts most..

My last Penang fieldtrip for this year was the most enlightening one.

It was sort of painful too.

We had visited a hydrocephalic baby. It's the last birth defect case that I had visited for my current job.
I did not capture her photo but I found a substitute from here.



(from http://www.lucinafoundation.org/assets/hydrocephalus.jpg)

The history of this baby is still unknown. It could possibly due to the solvent exposure near her living place released by printing industries. According to my supervisor, her survival rate is low. Her spine was malformed.
She had several diagnoses, including kidney problems.
At such a tender age of six months plus, and she is suffering from all these.
Why????

It really hurts to see such a beautiful and cute baby to be suffering from this.
She is a really cheerful girl.
Though she's suffering in silence.
When we played with her, she would smile gleefully. Her eyes would try to turn left and right to capture our voices.
Innocently, she'd be smiling.
A really smart baby- I would say.

But we could not show our empathy much, not right in front of her mother.
And I really felt helpless.
What hurts most- is when you can't do anything, and anything at all.

No comments: