Saturday, November 29, 2014

My Venus flytrap has babies!!

Got this Venus flytrap (VFT) as a birthday pressie last month; and another friend gave me a pretty 'colonial' style vase to accompany it. 

In which, coincidentally, I saw the same vase in a colonial hotel that we were staying for our chiangmai trip:p


Really pretty right? I have named it as Frezprit.. Heehee


This was the classic vase (left, in my room now) and the right one was seen in a colonial-like hotel:)

I didn't use the case for this plant btw.. 

Now, my VFT is about two months old (and don't look that pretty le). As I was doing mini gardening this morning to remove the black leaves, I found this... Tadaaaaa~


Baby VFT!!! :D sooo happy! I have in fact, watered it with boiled water as Sg water is low in Total dissolved solid (TDS) but after reading it yesterday, I realised that the TDS of tap water here is still higher than 50. *sigh*

Sometimes I use filtered water to water it and the forums that I went through yesterday says that--> inappropriate..

The best water is in fact, rain water; reverse osmosis water or distilled water (those that are entirely free of minerals and nutrients); as minerals can kill the plant. That explains why sphagnum moss with peat is used to culture VFT as it has high water retention and low nutrients availability.

Hence, I went to collect an approximate 500ml of rainwater just only because it was raining heavily:p
First time collecting rainwater and found that it has lotsa particles in it..:/

I remembered back in my kiddie days, my dad would be happily placing pots of flowers under the rain. Made me laugh so much when I see that. Now I know why...

And also,..
*shake head* my new obsession... *urgh*

I finally know how to propagate it too as I was only reading about it yesterday..:)

Hopefully it can go through without dormancy... 

So long~

P/s: I have a plant in school that ages same as my graduate years.. That was a mint plant that was cultured from terrarium; and from a leaf only.. Though I miss it, I have yet to transfer it to home because landlady may not be happy.. Sigh.. Talk about living in homes that do not belong to ourselves :/ 

2 comments:

Jerome said...

i dont understand a word

SN said...

=.=